Re: Monitoring tool - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ervin Weber
Subject Re: Monitoring tool
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello, Pierre.

In last postgresql.eu conference https://prometheus.io/  was mentioned
in several talks.

https://www.postgresql.eu/events/pgconfeu2018/schedule/session/2190-using-prometheus-and-grafana-for-postgresql-monitoring-in-tomtom/
for example.

That said I had a lot of time invested in munin (and to teach it to
use auto-discovery of everything), so personally did not yet switch to
use prometheus.

I'm most interested in advanced alert criteria that one could setup in
prometheus, and if you are looking for best alerting - it is worth
investigating.

Nagios may still be more popular choice, because it is older, and more
widespread. Yet when I was picking monitoring - I needed easy setup
and ability to write own plugins with little effort, so I picked munin
over nagios several years ago. Also there is opinion worth getting
your attention, if you do research on nagios -  saying  that nagios
may be too old for competition -
https://www.slideshare.net/superdupersheep/stop-using-nagios-so-it-can-die-peacefully

Best,
Ervin

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 20:35, Ibrahim Edib Kokdemir <kokdemir@gmail.com> wrote:

> What exactly is your expectation from a monitoring system? If it is just a postgres server that you want to monitor
andand regular alerts, nagios is the shortest path. But if you want more, for example enterprise level monitoring
system(graphs, history, maps, predictions) and if you have  many other servers along with postgres server(s), I
personallysuggest you zabbix, but zabbix needs some additional helpers like mamonsu or libzbxpgsql for  for postgres
monitoring.