Re: Minimum bison and flex versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: Minimum bison and flex versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 12:07 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2022-09-06 13:32:32 +0700, John Naylor wrote:
> > Here are autoconf-only patches to that effect.
>
> Looks like you did actually include src/tools/msvc as well :)

Ah, in my head I meant "no patches for the Meson branch". :-)

CI fails on MSVC pg_upgrade, but that shows up in some existing CF bot
failures and in any case doesn't have a grammar, so I have pushed,
thanks for looking!

> > Since the retirement of some older buildfarm members, the oldest Bison
> > that gets regular testing is 2.3. MacOS ships that version, and will
> > continue doing so for the forseeable future because of Apple's policy
> > regarding GPLv3. While Mac users could use a package manager to install
> > a newer version, there is no compelling reason to do so at this time.
>
> s/to do so/to force them to do so/?

There are good reasons for a dev to install a newer Bison, like better
diagnostics, so used this language.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com