Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:06 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 8:56 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > I think we should move *away* from single user mode, rather than the
> > opposite. It's a substantial code burden and it's hard to use.
>
> Yes. This thread seems to be largely devoted to the topic of making
> single-user vacuum work better, but I don't see anyone asking the
> question "why do we have a message that tells people to vacuum in
> single user mode in the first place?". It's basically bad advice, with
> one small exception that I'll talk about in a minute.

The word "advice" sounds like people have a choice, rather than the
system not accepting commands anymore. It would be much less painful
if the system closed connections and forbade all but superusers to
connect, but that sounds like a lot of work. (happy to be proven
otherwise)

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com