Re: INDEX Performance Issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vasilis Ventirozos
Subject Re: INDEX Performance Issue
Date
List pgsql-performance

-c 10 means 10 clients so that should take advantage of all your cores (see bellow)

%Cpu0 : 39.3 us, 21.1 sy, 0.0 ni, 38.7 id, 0.9 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu1 : 38.0 us, 25.0 sy, 0.0 ni, 26.0 id, 4.2 wa, 0.0 hi, 6.8 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu2 : 39.3 us, 20.4 sy, 0.0 ni, 39.0 id, 1.3 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu3 : 40.0 us, 18.7 sy, 0.0 ni, 40.0 id, 1.3 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu4 : 13.9 us, 7.1 sy, 0.0 ni, 79.1 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu5 : 13.1 us, 8.4 sy, 0.0 ni, 78.5 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu6 : 14.8 us, 6.4 sy, 0.0 ni, 78.8 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
%Cpu7 : 15.7 us, 6.7 sy, 0.0 ni, 77.7 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st

 i am pasting you the results of the same test on a i7-2600 16gb with a sata3 SSD and the results from a VM with 2 cores and a normal 7200 rpm hdd

-- DESKTOP
vasilis@Disorder ~ $ pgbench -c 10 -t 10000 bench
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 1
query mode: simple
number of clients: 10
number of threads: 1
number of transactions per client: 10000
number of transactions actually processed: 100000/100000

-- VM

postgres@pglab1:~/postgresql-9.2.4/contrib/pgbench$ ./pgbench -c 10 -t 10000 bench
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 1
query mode: simple
number of clients: 10
number of threads: 1
number of transactions per client: 10000
number of transactions actually processed: 100000/100000

i am assuming that you didn't populate your pgbench db with the default values , if you tell me how you did i will be happy to re run the test and see the differences.