Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package). - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Paul Linehan
Subject Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package).
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi again, just a few extra words.

> I would not compile Postgres using Cygwin -- just use the native
> Windows version, or better yet switch to Linux.

Compiling and running under Linux is child's play. I mean, at least
for me, now, with several years' experience. I would like to make
that the case for everyone who wishes to use Linux - it can be
(ahem...) difficult at the beginning.

What I'm trying to establish is performance given the OS, the
compilation method and the problem (CPU/I-O/RAM- intensive).

How do the different combinations respond under these differing
circumstances given the problem?

To be honest, I'm not expecting huge differences between my different
planned tests - i.e. Linux/*BSD won't hugely outperform other
systems. Hell, maybe Windows will perform great? But, that's not the
issue for me.

Even if Windows performed better, it would be irrelevant for me. What
I'm **hoping** is that I can persuade my elders and betters that using
Open Source **may** (or may not - hopefully) cost a bit in performance,
but that it brings other, intangible, yet greater advantages.

As mentioned, I believe that scientists should be using Open Source,
so maybe I can encourage its use - and learn interesting things along
the way (with your help :-) )

I'm no Richard Stallman - I just believe that Open Source is right for
scientists - maybe not for people running small businesses or
banks? I certainly don't regard it as a breach of my human rights (as
Stallman would see it) to be using a Google (closed source)
mail programme to email you.

The key point would be, the email isn't the goal of my research.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply, rgs,

Paul...