Re: PostgreSQL VS MongoDB: a use case comparison - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: PostgreSQL VS MongoDB: a use case comparison
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:48 AM Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

> Stephen Frost schrieb am 20.11.2018 um 18:28:
> > Oh yes, having a dictionary would be a great start to reducing the size
> > of the jsonb data, though it could then become a contention point if
> > there's a lot of new values being inserted and such.  Naturally there
> > would also be a cost to pulling that data back out as well but likely it
> > would be well worth the benefit of not having to store the field names
> > repeatedly.
>
> There is an extension for a dictionary based JSONB compression:
>
> https://github.com/postgrespro/zson

That was a 'toy' experiment.  We did several experiments on jsonb
compression and presented
the results, for example,
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/talks/jsonb-pgconf.us-2017.pdf

Also, check this thread on custom compression

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAF4Au4xop7FqhCKgabYWymUS0yUk9i%3DbonPnmVUBbpoKsFYnLA%40mail.gmail.com#d01913d3b939b472ea5b38912bf3cbe4

Now, there is YCSB-JSON benchmark available and it is worth to run it
for postgres
https://dzone.com/articles/ycsb-json-implementation-for-couchbase-and-mongodb
We are pretty busy, so you may contribute.

For better indexing we are working on  parameters for opclasses and I
really wanted to have it
for PG12. http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/talks/opclass_pgcon-2018.pdf

My recommendation for testing performance - always run concurrent
queries and distibution of
queries should be for most cases zipfian (we have added to PG11).

The Russian Postgres Company