Re: CoC [Final] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: CoC [Final]
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21 January 2016 at 11:28, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resisting the urge to talk about how justice was actually seen in the Dark
> Ages....

Pitchforks. Baying crowds dragging those they consider to be
wrongdoers from their beds and tying them to four horses and pulling
them apart in the town square, without worrying about proof or reason.
Trial by battle, where "the winner must have been in the right because
God would make sure that the right man won". Women being drowned
because it's better to kill an innocent girl (who will go straight to
Heaven anyway) rather than let an evil witch live amongst us. Stuff
like that.

> But seriously, I think human judgment is better than a code which those who
> want to cause problems can and will use as a weapon against the rest.

Well, ish. The idea of having a strong published code which is
tempered by human reasonableness is fairly well established in most
legal systems.

Geoff