Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 15:10, James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com> wrote:
I understand the concern, however, if you look at how attacks happen
it is frequently through other sites. Specifically under/poorly
moderated sites. For specific examples, people who have issues with
people on Quora will frequently go after them on Facebook and Twitter.

these aren't a solution looking for a problem. If we just want to look
at the clusterfuck that is happening in the reddis community right now
we can see conversations spilling onto twitter and into ad hominem
vitriol.

You haven't established that this is both 1) the PG mailing list's problem
and that 2) this can't and won't be used to retaliate against those holding
unpopular viewpoints but aren't specifically harassing anyone.

This argument (whether or not PostgreSQL should have a CoC) was hashed out pretty heavily a year ago. In my opinion it wasn't really clear that any one side or another won the argument but the people who matter came down on the side of having one. It's pretty unlikely that re-running these arguments is going to make those people change their minds.

Certainly posting obscenities to these open forums isn't going to do it, however strongly you might feel about it.

Geoff