Re: [ADMIN] 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [ADMIN] 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (x-posting to -hackers, more relevant audience)
>
> On 2016-01-29 22:19:45 -0800, Evan Rempel wrote:
>> Now that there is a setting to give a cluster a "name", it would be nice to
>> have an escape sequence in the log_line_prefix setting that could reference
>> the cluster_name.
>
> I've argued[1][2] for this when cluster_name was introduced, but back
> then I seemed to have been the only one arguing for it. Josh later
> jumped that train.
>
> Given that we now had a number of people wishing for this, can we maybe
> reconsider?

+1

I missed the part of this conversation that took place on -admin.  I
agree with Evan Rempel's post over there[1] that it's useful for
syslog users, and that it's not ideal to have to hijack syslog_ident
or explicitly copy the name into log_line_prefix.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56C64017.7050303%40uvic.ca

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com