Re: PG FDW query fails, works local, same credentials - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pete O'Such
Subject Re: PG FDW query fails, works local, same credentials
Date
List pgsql-general
> Check your search path assumptions.  postgres_fdw runs remote
> queries with a very minimal search_path setting,

Indeed it was the search path, combined with references to user-defined functions that weren't schema-qualified.

Thank you for the pointer!

-Pete

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 12:46 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Pete O'Such" <posuch@gmail.com> writes:
> I've got a view on server A (PG 15.2) that fails when queried via FDW from
> server B (also PG 15.2).  Querying it as a foreign table from server B
> yields a message like "ERROR:  function blah(type) does not exist".

Check your search path assumptions.  postgres_fdw runs remote queries
with a very minimal search_path setting, so that unqualified references
to non-built-in objects are likely to fail.

                        regards, tom lane