Re: When the Session ends in PGSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Durumdara
Subject Re: When the Session ends in PGSQL?
Date
Re: When the Session ends in PGSQL?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
Ahoj!

2011/7/4 Vincent de Phily <vincent.dephily@mobile-devices.fr>:
> On Monday 04 July 2011 12:49:24 Durumdara wrote:
>> What happens with running statements and stored procs at Session's end?
>>
>> They will be aborted and destroyed, or they can continue the running?
>>
>> For example:
>> User X starts a long Query/STP.
>> But he is lost "in deep space" (like in "Space Oddity":
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE3FSPJu-4&feature=related).
>> The TCP connection aborted, then the Session is set to dead.
>> But I don't know what happens with this Query? Is it aborted by Server
>> or Running may infinitively?
>
> The running query will be rolled back when the session ends. Note that "when
> the session ends" must be understood from the server's point of view, not the
> client's.

As I understand you then running Queries forced to abort on the end of
Session and no more Query running over the session's ending point (or
after TCP connection broken).

> Temporary tables, prepared statements, and cursors (not an exhaustive list)
> will be destroyed too.
>
> Stored procedures will remain. Note that "stored procedures" in postgres are a
> bit different from what you may be used to in other dbs; while I assure you
> it's for the better, you might want to RTFM to avoid surprises.

Please explain a little this (Just 1-2 sentence please).
Or suggest me some info, if possible... :-) (Prayer) :-)
I want to know about differences.

Thanks for it!
    dd