Re: Index creation running now for 14 hours - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tory M Blue
Subject Re: Index creation running now for 14 hours
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq.postgres@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now the 100% cpu process which is this index is only using 3.5GB
> and has been for the last 15 hours

If 100% cpu, you can do 'sudo perf top' to see what the CPU is busy about.

Regards,
Qingqing

I appreciate the attempted help, but I know what it's doing, it's creating indexes for the last 14+ hours. I've killed it now,  as it was about to run my machine out of disk space, stopped it at 97% full, could not go any longer.

I will now clean up the table a bit but will still have 500million rows with 6 indexes on it. I will create the indexes after the data is laid down vs during,  so it doesn't block my other table replications. I will then fire off my index creations in parallel  for my other tables so I can actually use the hardware the DB is sitting on.

But I guess the answer is, no real way to tell what the box is doing when it's creating an index. Yes there was a lock, no I could not find a way to see how it's progressing so there was no way for me to gauge when it would be done.

Thanks
Tory

Tory