Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5and 12 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tory M Blue
Subject Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5and 12
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
Repost, edited subject by mistake...

On Monday, May 11, 2020, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com> wrote:
And just to repeat. Same exact hardware, same kernel, nothing more than installing the latest postgres12, copying my config files from 9.5 to 12 and running the pg_upgrade.

You’ll want to remove the pg_upgrade from the equation and try v12

Sorry...if you copied the config to v12 before the upgrade and the upgrade worked that suggests that v12 booted up at some point with the configuration, no?  Does pg_upgrade do something special?

David J

Not entirely sure I follow, and it may be that I confused the issue.

9.5 running for years, run the upgrade, and migrate my config files. 12 won't start without bumping the shared_buffers down.

12 won't start with "my" original config files.

I'm going to do native 9.5 and 12 installs on the same piece of hardware, no data migration, no pg_upgrade just to see if I can get 12 to start with my current configuration. I'll try your suggestions from last night as well, see if setting via command line will give us more dataz.

Tory