Re: Installing plpython3u - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dario Beraldi
Subject Re: Installing plpython3u
Date
List pgsql-general

On 15 October 2015 at 16:23, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dario Beraldi <dario.beraldi@gmail.com> writes:
>> It might be worth cd'ing into the src/pl/plpython subdirectory and
>> manually doing "make install" there to see what it prints.

> Here we go:
> cd
> /data/sblab-home/berald01/applications/postgresql/postgresql-9.3.5/src/pl/plpython
> make install
> make: Nothing to be done for `install'.

That, and the fact that your "ls" shows no derived files, means that the
Makefile is choosing not to do anything, which a look at the Makefile
says must be because shared_libpython isn't getting set.  (As of 9.5
we've changed that to not fail silently, but in 9.3 this is what it does.)

There are two possibilities here: either your python3 installation does
not include a shared-library version of libpython, or it does but the
configure+Make process is failing to detect that.  Probably should
establish which of those it is before going further.

                        regards, tom lane

Ahh, I guess this answers the question then:

cd /data/sblab-home/berald01/applications/postgresql/postgresql-9.3.5/src/pl/plpython/
make

*** Cannot build PL/Python because libpython is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your Python installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

Right, it looks like I have to rebuild python then.
Thanks guys!
Dario