Unused indexes - PostgreSQL 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lucas Possamai
Subject Unused indexes - PostgreSQL 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I ran a query to search for unused indexes, and get some free space in my DB:

SELECT
    --*,
    relid::regclass AS table,
    indexrelid::regclass AS index,
    --pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size(indexrelid::regclass)) AS index_size,
    pg_relation_size(indexrelid::regclass) AS index_size,
    idx_tup_read,
    idx_tup_fetch,
    idx_scan
FROM
    pg_stat_user_indexes
    JOIN pg_index USING (indexrelid)
WHERE
    idx_scan = 0
    AND indisunique IS FALSE;

The query returns the columns:
idx_tup_read,
 idx_tup_fetch,
 idx_scan

What I did was:

1 - Run the query above
2 - select one index and drop it
3 - Found some slow queries... When I saw it, the query was using one of the index I've dropped.
4 - Re-created the index
5 - Ran the query with explain analyze (The query was indeed hitting the index)
6 - re-ran the first query above, and still.. the index wasn't being used from those statistics
7 - ?

So, my problem is: the statistics are not running? What happened to the statistics?

Do you guys know how can I update the stats?