Re: RFE: Make statistics robust for unplanned events - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Patrik Novotny
Subject Re: RFE: Make statistics robust for unplanned events
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 5:05 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Right. I think the other question is how often does this happen in
> practice - if your instance crashes often enough to make this an issue,
> then there are probably bigger issues.

Agreed.

I think the bigger problem there is replication failover, but that's
also a different issue (keeping the statistics from the *standby*
wouldn't help you much there, you'd need to replicate it from the
primary).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

The report that I've received regarding this RFE has been triggered by experiencing issues with long term deployments in a large scale industrial environment. The point of this RFE is to be protected against those issues in the future. While this doesn't seem to be a very frequent occurrence, I wouldn't consider this a corner case not being worth attention.

If there is an expectation for the performance loss to be less of a problem in the future, would it make sense to make this an opt-in feature until then?

--
Patrik Novotný
Associate Software Engineer