Re: [GENERAL] index duplicates primary key, but is used more? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Chang
Subject Re: [GENERAL] index duplicates primary key, but is used more?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

      I suggest you log all execution plan in your db log through using auto_explain extension.
      And then analyze the stats about your concerned indexes .
      No hint syntax in Postgresql.
      Which indexes and join method would be adopt all depend on optimizer whose behaviour is also affected by some parameters.

Steven

i'm doing a performance audit and noticed something odd.

we tested a table a while back, by creating lots of indexes that match different queries (30+).

for simplicity, here's a two column table:

        CREATE TABLE foo (id INT PRIMARY KEY
                                              value INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
                                              );

The indexes were generated by a script, so we had things like:

        CREATE INDEX idx_test_foo_id_asc ON foo(id ASC);
        CREATE INDEX idx_test_foo_id_desc ON foo(id DESC);
        CREATE INDEX idx_test_foo_val_asc ON foo(value ASC);
        CREATE INDEX idx_test_foo_value_desc ON foo(value DESC);

What I noticed when checking stats earlier, is that although `idx_test_foo_id_asc` is the same as the PKEY... it was used about 10x more than the pkey.

Does anyone know of this is just random (perhaps due to the name being sorted earlier) or there is some other reason that index would be selected ?

my concern in deleting it, is that it might be preferred for queries due to hinting from the explicit 'order by'  (even though the contents are the same) and I may lose an index being leveraged in that query.

It's on a GIANT table, so it would be hard to recreate.