Re: pg_hba.conf editing question - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf editing question
Date
List pgadmin-support
21/07/1408:58 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:<br /> >><br /> >> That split conf-data setup is supported by
PostgreSQL,so it's not<br /> >> Debian to blame. I think it is a bug (or missing feature) that<br /> >>
pg_read_filedoesn't let you read files in the conf directory.<br /> >><br /> >> What probably works is if
youcreate a symlink in the data directory<br /> >> to /etc/postgresql for pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf.<br />
ofthe message threads I found, a dev from PostgreSQL mentioned that the functions in the adminpack were written to
preventusing paths out of the log/data directory expressly for security reasons. And I understand that rationale. It
makessense.<br /> ><br /> > I couldn't fathom how pgAdmin built in a means to alter configuration files when it
didn'twork in one instance. I think it makes it difficult for pgAdmin devs to maintain consistency across platforms
whenone linux distribution does something "a little different" that isn't done elsewhere AFAIK.<br /> ><br /> >
Maybeas part of the Debian packaging those symlinks should be created/installed as part of the server package?<br />
>But that's for the Debian dev's to sort out and discuss on the Debian forums.<br /> ><p dir="ltr">Well, truly
honestly,I've never used and will never use the config editor from PgAdmin. It's not good enough to be useful and
practical.<pdir="ltr">I'd trust more a complete rewrite with the 9.4 ALTER SYSTEM statement.<p dir="ltr">Of course,
thisis just my point of view.