[PERFORM] 99% time spent in WAL wait events - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Purav Chovatia
Subject [PERFORM] 99% time spent in WAL wait events
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

We are running workload on a EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.6 and we see that 99% of the time is spent on WAL wait events:
System Wait Information

WAIT NAME COUNT WAIT TIME % WAIT
wal flush 564552 298.789464 41.67
wal write 521514 211.601124 29.51
wal file sync 521546 205.519643 28.66

Disk IO performance is not an issue and WAL is on a dedicated disk.

Can somebody pls suggest if there is any possibility to improve this & how?

We already tried wal_buffers=96m, wal_sync_method=open_sync/open_datasync, checkpoint_completion_target=0.9 but none of those helped.

System has 32GB RAM and shared_buffers=8GB. All transactions are happening on a single table which has about 1.5m records and the table size is 1.7GB with just one PK index.

Many Thanks

Regards