Re: Is there a continuous backup for pg ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Is there a continuous backup for pg ?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:58 AM <raf@raf.org> wrote:
Gary M wrote:

> Vick,
>
> I would love to use ZFS, this project requires RHEL/SeLinux MLS. Without
> MLS and RH support, ZFS is a no-go.

btrfs could be an option. it does mostly the same things as zfs.

AFAIK, btrfs is also not supported on RHEL

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Gary M <garym@oedata.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Josh,
> >>
> >> PITR is the option I was recommending. Project management diligence
> >> dictates I need at least one other option from a different recommending
> >> source, two other options optimally.

How long back-in-time would you need to go? If it is few hours (e.g. you know that you would be able to identify a malicious transaction with-in 2hrs period) then consider using time-delayed/lagging DR. It is a also faster than restoring a backup and performing PITR.

There are backup tools available but under the hood they too just be offering PITR.

Filesystem snapshot was suggested by someone else which is also very neat and good, but needs other tools around the infrastructure.

> > File system snapshot on a robust system like ZFS. Rollback to any snapshot
> > almost trivially, and view any snapshot trivially.

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Senior Solution Architect

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

36 Robinson Road, #14-04 City House, Singapore 068877

T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

Skype: sameer.ashnik |   M: +65 8110 0350