Re: Seeking help in promoting pgDay Asia - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Seeking help in promoting pgDay Asia
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:50 Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 02/15/2016 05:30 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> Thanks Josh for your guidance.
>
> One of the challenges we are facing now is lack of legal entity here in
> Singapore. I have run out of time to go through paper work and get one
> registered.
>
> I have spoken to my employer and they have agreed (in-principle) to be a
> co-host and Organizing Partner and in-turn they will provide all local
> help and support. E.g. getting sponsorship money, disbursing the money
> to speakers for their travel grants, providing Visa letter to speakers
> and attendees.
>
> Is there anything in this where community will have an issue? I want to
> make sure we are not doing something which makes the community unhappy.

That's pretty normal.  Most places don't have an incorporated
non-profit.  The key is to just be honest and direct about where the
money is going.  What will get you a bad reaction is if you solicit a
sponsorship as "PostgreSQL Singapore" and then someone gets an invoice
from some company.  What you should do is say something like this:

"The finances for pgDay Asia 2016 are being handled by __company__ this
year.  We plan to incorporate a not-for-profit entity after this year's
event.  If there is any surplus from pgDay Asia, the funds will be used
towards that organization."

... and, of course, do that.

Thanks! We will do that...

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)
Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350 | www.ashnik.com