Re: Re[2]: [PERFORM] pgtune + configurations with 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: Re[2]: [PERFORM] pgtune + configurations with 9.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 15 November 2014 02:10, Alexey Vasiliev <leopard_ne@inbox.ru> wrote:

> Ok. Just need to know what think another developers about this - should pgtune care about this case? Because I am not
sure,what users with 512GB will use pgtune.

pgtune should certainly care about working with large amounts of RAM.
Best practice does not stop at 32GB of RAM, but instead becomes more
and more important. I am not interested in edge cases or unusual
configurations. I am interested in setting decent defaults to provide
a good starting point to administrators on all sizes of hardware.

I use pgtune to configure automatically deployed cloud instances. My
goal is to prepare instances that have been tuned according to best
practice for standard types of load. Administrators will ideally not
need to tweak anything themselves, but at  a minimum have been
provided with a good starting point. pgtune does a great job of this,
apart from the insanely high shared_buffers. At the moment I run
pgtune, and then must reduce shared_buffers to 8GB if pgtune tried to
select a higher value. The values it is currently choosing on higher
RAM boxes are not best practice and quite wrong.

The work_mem settings also seem to be very high, but so far have not
posed a problem and may well be correct. I'm trusting pgtune here
rather than my outdated guesses.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/