Re: Postgres partitions-query scanning all child tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: Postgres partitions-query scanning all child tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:10 AM, rverghese <riyav@hotmail.com> wrote:
Ok, thanks. Thats a bummer though. That means I need a table for every month/year combination. I was hoping to limit it to 12 tables.

Riya

If you wanted to have a column called month_num or something like that, and if *all* of your queries extract the month date_part() in every where clause, then yes, you could have just 12 tables.

But you won't like that partitioning scheme for other reasons:
- queries that don't "play by the rules" will be slow
- very old data will slow down recent-day queries
- no ability to quickly remove obsolete data by dropping partitions that are no longer useful