Re: Unexpected results when joining on date fields - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rick Genter
Subject Re: Unexpected results when joining on date fields
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't think you understand what JOIN does. Think of it as a double-nested FOR loop: for each record that has the value on the left side of the JOIN, it will match all records on the right side of the JOIN that meet the ON criteria. For example, if I have two tables:

A (i int, j int):

i       j
1     1
2     1
3     2
4     2
5     3
6     3

and

B (k int, j int)
k     j
10   1
11   1
12   2
13   2
14   3
15   3

Then if I do

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A JOIN B ON A.j = B.j

I'll get 12. Each record in A matches 2 records in B on the value of j. Study the following transcript:

bash-3.2$ bin/psql -d g2_master
Password:
psql (8.4.4)
Type "help" for help.

g2_master=# CREATE TABLE A (i int, j int);
CREATE TABLE
g2_master=# CREATE TABLE B (k int, j int);
CREATE TABLE
g2_master=# INSERT INTO A VALUES (1, 1), (2, 1), (3, 2), (4, 2), (5, 3), (6, 3);
INSERT 0 6
g2_master=# INSERT INTO B VALUES (10, 1), (11, 1), (12, 2), (13, 2), (14, 3), (15, 3);
INSERT 0 6
g2_master=# SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A JOIN B ON A.j = B.j;
 count
-------
    12
(1 row)

g2_master=# SELECT * FROM A JOIN B ON A.j = B.j;
 i | j | k  | j
---+---+----+---
 1 | 1 | 10 | 1
 1 | 1 | 11 | 1