Re: BUG #16741: Error: subplan "SubPlan 1" was not initialized - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Radek Salač
Subject Re: BUG #16741: Error: subplan "SubPlan 1" was not initialized
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi

I tried to disable "incremental sort", but it doesn't help.
Completely disabling parallel query worked for me, but you are right it's quite a big change.
So we postpone the upgrade of Postgre in production for now.
I wish you luck with fixing that issue and I really appreciate your work / help.

Thanks

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 5:39 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > I'm getting error:
>
> > ERROR: subplan "SubPlan 1" was not initialized
> > CONTEXT: parallel worker
>
> Yeah, this is a known issue that we haven't yet fixed, cf [1].
>
> I believe you should be able to work around it for now
> by turning off enable_incremental_sort.
>
>                         regards, tom lane
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/622580997.37108180.1604080457319.JavaMail.zimbra%40siscobra.com.br

That might workaround it for 13/13.1, though the attached plan has a
sort, not an incremental sort, and so it's possible that won't help
(disabling parallel query for this particular query would then
resolve, but that's a fairly large sledgehammer).

A fix is being discussed in [1].

James

1: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAAaqYe8cK3g5CfLC4w7bs%3DhC0mSksZC%3DH5M8LSchj5e5OxpTAg%40mail.gmail.com