migrating/spliting Postgres data directory on OpenIndiana - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Boris Epstein
Subject migrating/spliting Postgres data directory on OpenIndiana
Date
Re: migrating/spliting Postgres data directory on OpenIndiana  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello listmates,

I am trying to move the data directory for this PG installation. So one question would be, how do I do that? What's the accepted practice?

And if I want to split the storage - i.e., put databases into different directories - can I do that?

At this point I tried to just move the directory and use a soft link to repoint to it - but so far I have not even been able to do that properly, using pg_ctl. Apparently the process would not die. What should I look into to debug this one?

Sorry I am asking all these questions - which are probably a bit dumb - but it's been about a decade since I've administered Postgres:)

Thank you for any and all help,

Cheers,

Boris.