Re: Postgres 8.4 on OpenIndiana would not shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Boris Epstein
Subject Re: Postgres 8.4 on OpenIndiana would not shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> writes:
> The Postgres 8.4 would simply not shutdown for me. Don't know why:

> Here's a snippet of /var/postgres/8.4/data_64/server.log seemingly
> corresponding to these shutdown attempts:

> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-10-25 13:49:14 EDT
> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
> LOG:  received smart shutdown request
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
> LOG:  shutting down
> LOG:  database system is shut down
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-10-26 12:14:21 EDT
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG:  received smart shutdown request
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
> LOG:  shutting down
> LOG:  database system is shut down
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-10-26 12:22:00 EDT
> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

Looks to me like it *is* shutting down, and then something is starting
it right back up again.  Don't know how you have it installed, but if
it's running as an auto-started service you may need to be using some
higher-level command to stop the service.

                        regards, tom lane

Tom, thanks!

Yes, that's exactly what it was, it turns out.

OpenIndiana uses SMF (svcadm) and it was what was restarting the server:)

Boris.