Re: "localtime" value in TimeZone - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Re: "localtime" value in TimeZone
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yeah, this is something that some tzdb packagers do --- they put a
> "localtime" file into /usr/share/zoneinfo that is a symlink or hard link
> to the active zone file, and then initdb tends to seize on that as being
> the shortest available spelling of the active zone.

I see, I wasn't aware that this was a distribution-level mechanism - I understand the situation better now.

I followed the conversations you linked to, and disagreements seem to be mostly about other aspects of timezone selection. Does it make sense to have a limited, restricted conversation specifically about avoiding "localtime"?