Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not sure we're any closer to a meeting of the minds on whether
> consulting zone[1970].tab is a good thing to do, but we got an actual
> user complaint[1] about how "localtime" should not be a preferred
> spelling.  So I want to go ahead and insert the discussed anti-preference
> against "localtime" and "posixrules", as per 0001 below.  If we do do
> something with zone[1970].tab, we'd still need these special rules,
> so I don't think this is blocking anything.

Just want to stress this point from a PostgreSQL driver maintainer perspective (see here[1] for the full details). Having "localtime" as the PostgreSQL timezone basically means that the timezone is completely opaque from a client point of view - there is no way for clients to know what actual timezone the server is in, and react to that. This is a limiting factor in client development, I hope a consensus on this specific point can be reached.