Re: Permission denied error for initdb - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Dron
Subject Re: Permission denied error for initdb
Date
List pgsql-novice
Yeah, it's 9.3.15, its the required version for the main software I want to use, but I can try a later version if this doesn't end up working.

For some reason I can't find sysctl ANYWHERE on this system, but just looking at the values in /proc/sys/kernel I get:

shmmni: 4096
shmmax: 18446744073692774399
shmall: 18446744073692774399

I'm guessing it might be odd that shmmax and shmall are the same size?

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Tom Dron <thomas.e.dron@gmail.com> writes:
> fbbgsa@web1:~/.local$ initdb -D ~/.local/data
> creating template1 database in /home/.local/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
>  shmat(id=18808835) failed: Permission denied

That's really weird.  Usually problems appear at the preceding shmget
call, not shmat.  I'd guess that somehow the System V shared memory
facility is turned off on that machine, but surely it'd fail at shmget
if so.  Still, it might be informative to do "sysctl -a | grep shm"
and see what the shmmax/shmall/shmmni parameters are set to.

Also, I gather from the printout that this isn't a terribly late-model
Postgres.  If you could try 9.4 or later, that might conceivably have
better luck because it requires only a very small SysV segment.
(This error doesn't sound like it's dependent on segment size, but
I'm grasping at straws...)

                        regards, tom lane