Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented
Date
Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-docs

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 at 20:56, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Aug  2, 2021 at 05:24:14PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:03 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

>     I think we put it in the PG 11 release notes so people who used Postgres
>     previously would know this item is improved, but for new folks, it will
>     just work if they try it, but we don't want to encourage them to try it.
>

> And why do we care about informing people those people of this undocumented
> behavior? It's not like we want to encourage them to use it either.
>
> I stand by my conviction that a release note entry for a user-visible feature
> requires having documented said feature in the main documentation - and
> vice-versa.

I would agree. If it's worth coding it's worth documenting. Unless of course the intention is that this is temporary.

I would also argue that putting them in the release notes is not enough. Am I expected to go through the release notes after I don't find it in the documentation ?
Do we have other undocumented features ?

Dave Cramer