Re: C trigger significantly slower than PL/pgSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: C trigger significantly slower than PL/pgSQL?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 06:14, pgchem pgchem <pgchem@tuschehund.de> wrote:
Hello all,

I have a functionally identical trigger function in PL/pgSQL and C. Now, that the C version is about 3x _slower_ (~1500 vs. ~4500 TPS in pgbench) than PL/pgSQL comes somewhat unexpected.

It can very well be, that I made a mistake on the C side, but before everything else, I'd like to ask if this may be expected behavior. Is it plausible that PL/pgSQL is so much faster than C when used in a trigger function?
It would be infinitely easier to answer this question if you posted both functions and the plans

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

best regards

Ernst-Georg