Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items
Date
List pgsql-odbc

On Mon, 4 Sept 2023 at 07:13, Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks> wrote:

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

On Sun, 3 Sept 2023 at 19:44, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 06:27, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
>> people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
>> the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
>> can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
>> all?
>
> I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain
> this.

That would be like a big change, still if that helps in keeping the
project more healthy than it is now, why not.  From what I can see,
this driver's development has been let aside.

This really isn't a big change. At least I don't see it that way. It makes it much easier to create pull requests which are significantly easier to manage than patch files.

Saito-san and Inoue-san have done a good job over the years spending
cycles on maintaining that.  The question is who could actually take
care of the basic maintenance of the driver?  I do have a little bit
of experience with the ODBC code base in the history of the project in
the 2015~2017 area with its core code and the regression tests as
VMware was relying heavily on it back these days.  So I could handle a
few of the compatibility changes to keep the thing able to build and
pass the tests, but my experience feels kind of limited.  Or it's just
that everybody has zero experience with it and I'm one with the most
experience :)

I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing to pitch in.

Dave

To be clear, I am offering to help in any way. However, only with the agreement of Saito-san and Inoue-san.

Dave