Re: Hot standby and xlog on a ramdisk - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tore Halvorsen
Subject Re: Hot standby and xlog on a ramdisk
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Scott R Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:
> Can a hot standby run correctly with the xlog-files on a ramdisk?

Yes, but, if you lose any, you'll need to rebuild the standby.

Even if the master and archive contain all the wal files?

If you have the file somewhere, you're okay, whether it's on the master, standby or an archive host.  If you're using log-shipping, you'll need all the WALs.

So, just to verify my understanding. Using a ramdisk for pg_xlog on a hot standby slave should be ok in all cases as long as the archive and master retains all wal files that are not applied?

I maintain a fairly active database (>100GB of wal files every day) and putting the wal files on a ramdisk (only for the slaves of course) helped quite a lot.

--
Eld på åren og sol på eng gjer mannen fegen og fjåg. [Jøtul]
<demo> Tore Halvorsen || +052 0553034554