Re: Psycopg2 Windows packaging - Mailing list psycopg

From Aleksi Häkli
Subject Re: Psycopg2 Windows packaging
Date
List psycopg
Hello,

I was wondering about the psycopg2 Windows package. Is there any particular reason the package is not distributed for Windows as a precompiled binary through pip? I always install the precompiled executables by Stickpeople or the precompiled wheels by Gohlke, and have never had the actual need to install the package on any Windows platform from source (since it is so tedious).

Would it not be easier for everybody to distribute the package via PyPI as a pip installable pre compiled signed binary instead of the current source format which mostly makes the package uninstallable on the platform?

I have ran into the installation issue about 5 years in row, developing with both Windows and Linux, and write my own scripts to avert the issue, but I think it causes unnecessary headaches for many junior developers. All senior developers can probably compile the library themselves if need be.

Best regards,
Aleksi H.

--
Aleksi Häkli