Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kishore Dahlstrom
Subject Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8
Date
List pgsql-admin
I was a storage admin for 12 years.   First I would recommend backing your data on the source volume.

I have migrated data both by replication and by actually swinging the SAN volumes from one host to another.  The process for Windows and Linux environments is different.   I am sure there is a lot of Youtube video or article written on this subject matter.

The windows environment running SQL server was easy to swing the volume from the older OS to the new OS.
Linux environment was a little bit more challenging, but it can be done.

If it's VM, you should be able to import the volume via Vsphere, and then attach the volume to the new Linux VM.  Once attached you can run lsblk, lvscan, or fdisk command to view the attached volume.   You should be able to work with the device and mount the file system.

Sorry, it's been a while but I know I have moved SAN volumes in Linux.

Hope this helps.

Kishore