[HACKERS] Guidelines for GSoC student proposals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject [HACKERS] Guidelines for GSoC student proposals
Date
Responses Re: [HACKERS] Guidelines for GSoC student proposals / EliminateO(N^2) scaling from rw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions  ("Mengxing Liu" <liu-mx15@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>)
List pgsql-hackers
I've found various sources that give hints about what a student
proposal should look like, but nothing I could just give as a link,
so I pulled together what I could find, tempered by my own ideas and
opinions.  I suggest that we send the below, or something like it to
each student who expresses interest in making a proposal, or who
submits a proposal that doesn't meet the below guidelines.  Thoughts
or suggestions for changes before we do?  Remember, time is short,
so this cannot be a 200 message bike-shedding debate -- we just need
to provide some sort of guidance to students in a timely way, with
the timeline being:
 February 27 - March 20   Potential student participants discuss application ideas with   mentoring organizations March
2016:00 UTC   Student application period opens April 3 16:00 UTC   Student application deadline

Each GSoC student proposal should be a PDF file of 6 to 8 pages.  In
the end, Google will publish these documents on a web page, so the
student should make each proposal something which they will be happy
to have future potential employers review.

Some ideas for desirable content:
 - A resume or CV of the student, including any prior GSoC work - Their reasons for wanting to participate - What else
theyhave planned for the summer, and what their time   commitment to the GSoC work will be - A clear statement that
therewill be no intellectual property   problems with the work they will be doing -- that the PostgreSQL   community
willbe able to use their work without encumbrances   (e.g., there should be no agreements related to prior or   ongoing
workwhich might assign the rights to the work they do   to someone else) - A description of what they will do, and how
-Milestones with dates - What they consider to be the test that they have successfully   completed the project

Note that a student proposal is supposed to be far more detailed
than the ideas for projects provided by the organization -- those
are intended to be ideas for what the student might write up as a
proposal, not ready-to-go proposal documents.