Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
<gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de> wrote:

> mentions Stephen's
> remarks on rsync (although to get actual _data loss_, you'd have to have
> a power outage in the DC caused by your PG server exploding... ;-).

I have seen power loss between the UPS and a server; including a
tech tripping on the power cord.  I have also seen servers abruptly
shut down due to high temperatures in spite of having a UPS.  I
have also seen an OS bug lock up a system such that it was
impossible to get a clean shutdown before having to cycle power to
recover.

No explosion needed.

If you value the data in your database you should assume that the
OS could go down at any instant without proper shutdown, and that
your storage system(s) could be lost without warning at any time.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com