Re: What Would You Like To Do? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: What Would You Like To Do?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> last time i tried it (last year), it seems broken because i couldn't
> log in with any user anymore... but it could be that i did something
> wrong so i didn't report until i could confirm but i hadn't the time
> and i forgot it since then

I haven't tried it on 9.0/9.1, but I used it on a 8.4 cluster, and "it
worked", with all the caveats of needing all the user@database users
created correctly, and the right use of quoting, and @ in logins,
etc.... The biggest being the lack of md5...

Definitely not "straight forward", and users are still "global", just
suffixed with an "@database" to make then "unique" between database
namespaces.

But I found it useful when needing to hand out "seperate" usernames
for different apps because they all needed to have their own
search_path and other settings set before login (yes, dumb apps,
mostly odbc), and be able to have the same "userid" for different
databases, using different settings...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,