Re: Can't get Dell PE T420 (Perc H710) perform better than a MacMini with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: Can't get Dell PE T420 (Perc H710) perform better than a MacMini with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Pietro Pugni <pietro.pugni@gmail.com> wrote:

Now let’s propose some query profiling times.

B type set are transactions, so it's impossible for me to post EXPLAIN ANALYZE results. I've extracted two querys from a single transactions and executed the twos on both system. Here are the results:

T420

Query B_1 [55999.649 ms + 0.639 ms] http://explain.depesz.com/s/LbM

Query B_2 [95664.832 ms + 0.523 ms] http://explain.depesz.com/s/v06

MacMini

Query B_1 [56315.614 ms] http://explain.depesz.com/s/uZTx

Query B_2 [44890.813 ms] http://explain.depesz.com/s/y7Dk

Looking at the 2 B_2 queries (since they are so drastically different), the in-memory quicksorts stand out on the Dell as being *drastically* slower than the disk-based sorts on your mac-mini....