Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrej
Subject Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 18 October 2012 13:57, George Roberge <groberge@andforthelamb.org> wrote:
>> Maybe I completely misunderstood this initial paragraph of your mail,
>> but how does using postgres to look at other windows data sources comprise a
>> replacement for access?

> Oh sure.
>
> That was just a very broad (and useless as far as my actual questions go)
> statement legitimizing my question's existence on the planet!

LOL ...

> It is a long-term goal to break PostgreSQL into the workplace, and
> eventually use it enough that perhaps Access will disappear.  It's a battle
> against "The Machine" of course, but hey....
>
> The data source is a Syspro ERP ODBC source.  Access naturally readily
> connects to this source, and we supplement the ERP with a few Access
> databases when we need to use its data in ways that the ERP doesn't handle.

So you're primarily using access as a front-end/GUI to your ERP system, with
a little extra ooomph?  If that's the case postgres probably isn't the cure for
your access ailments :}

Most likely you'll need a custom made GUI app, and possibly use postgres
for the "and then some" bits from the same app.

> George R.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.