Simultaneous Installations 7.4 9.x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randy Johnson
Subject Simultaneous Installations 7.4 9.x
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have a redhat  E5 installation with PostgreSQL 7.4 installation.  I have been tasked with upgrading it to 9.x

I have read that I can install both versions at the same time via YUM and edit the config file on the new installation to use a different port until go live time.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I also read this is the ideal way to go so I can use the newer version of pg_dumpall to transfer the data because the newer version contains bug fixes and other efficiencies.

Thanks for your advice.

Randy