Re: Performance Benchmarking for data-warehousing instance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Wattana Hinchaisri
Subject Re: Performance Benchmarking for data-warehousing instance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I used PostgreSQL 8.4  for Pentaho OLAP (mondrian) for a while. It's work like i want. But all i've done are the combination of Application level, Database level and Hardware level.

Our application is CRM, Then we did ETL to new PostgreSQL server, and do OLAP there. The application and OLAP DBMS is totally difference configuration. In Hardware level with hardware optimization and postgresql.conf configuration. We can run OLAP query for our need.

I think you have to know your database behavior and what OLAP you need to query. Then you will know how to configure your OLAP and postgresql.conf and Hardware you need.

Benchmark tool is only a test. But you have to know all about pg_log and performance monitoring.

Wattana

Do you happen to have a link to it? Though I think different machine specs should yield different optimal postgresql.conf.

I'm looking for a hand-crafted set of data + queries tailored for OLAP so that I can try to manually tweak one config at a time and run against the benchmark.

I might considering creating one if no one has done it before.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Huy Nguyen <huy@viki.com> wrote:
> I think pgtune is optimized more for OLTP application. Is there something
> similar to pgtune/pgbench for OLAP?

IIRC pgtune can be told to give out an OLAP-optimized postgresql.conf.
Maybe that's only recent versions?

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan