Re: Proposing WITH ITERATIVE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleksandr Shulgin
Subject Re: Proposing WITH ITERATIVE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:49 AM Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:33 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

Have the authors agreed to make it available to the project under a
compatible license?

If there’s interest, obviously. Otherwise I wouldn’t be asking.

I said from the start why I wasn’t attaching a patch and that I was seeing feedback. Honestly, David, stop wasting my, and list time, asking pointless off-topic questions.

Jonah,

I see it the other way round—it could end up as a waste of everyone's time discussing the details, if the authors don't agree to publish their code in the first place.  Of course, it could also be written from scratch, in which case I guess someone else from the community (who haven't seen that private code) would have to take a stab at it, but I believe it helps to know this in advance.

I also don't see how it "obviously" follows from your two claims: "I've found this functionality" and "I'll clean-up their patch and submit", that you have even asked (or, for that matter—found) the authors of that code.

Finally, I'd like to suggest you adopt a more constructive tone and become familiar with the project's Code of Conduct[1], if you haven't yet.  I am certain that constructive, respectful communication from your side will help the community to focus on the actual details of your proposal.

Kind regards,