Re: Migrate 2 DB's - v8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Baldwin
Subject Re: Migrate 2 DB's - v8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Melvin,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

Below are the details you have requested:

SOURCE:
CentOS release 4.6
Postgres 8.3

TARGET:
CentOS release 6.2
Postgres 8.3

Kind Regards,
Jeff

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Baldwin <tarheeljeff@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am working to migrate 2 DB's (not the entire postgres instance), from 1 host to another... and I need some guidance on the best approach/practice.

I have migrated ~25 other DB's in this environment, and I was able to use pg_dump/pgrestore for those, and it worked fine.  These final 2 are live DB's, and I need to move them with minimal downtime (1-2hrs is acceptable).

The DB's are blob DB's that are 45 and 90G in size, and are in the same Data Center, with 1G connection in between

I am running postres 8.3 (I know :) ), so there may be some limitations there as well.

Any help/guidance on the best way to approach this, are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Jeff

Well generically speaking, since you are migrating from 8.3, you are limited to pg_dump in plain format.
It would be nice (important) to know the PostgreSQL version you are migrating to, as well as what O/S you are working with.

--
Melvin Davidson