Re: Postgres 8.4 stopped working---Please urgent help needed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wd
Subject Re: Postgres 8.4 stopped working---Please urgent help needed
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 6:04 AM, <g.singh@utwente.nl> wrote:
Hi All,

I have a problem with PostgreSQL 8.4. It was working perfectly fine but after the restart (within a couple of minutes)  of my system whenever I login to PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost:5432) it gives error as under:

Server doesn't listen

The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports

could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly?

For security reasons, PostgreSQL does not listen on all available IP addresses on the server machine initially. In order to access the server over the network, you need to enable listening on the address first.

For PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0, this is controlled using the "listen_addresses" parameter in the postgresql.conf file. Here, you can enter a list of IP addresses the server should listen on, or simply use '*' to listen on all available IP addresses. For earlier servers (Version 7.3 or 7.4), you'll need to set the "tcpip_socket" parameter to 'true'.

You can use the postgresql.conf editor that is built into pgAdmin III to edit the postgresql.conf configuration file. After changing this file, you need to restart the server process to make the setting effective.

If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error message, it's still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL misbehaviour. You probably have some low level network connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

I checked the pg_log file and it shows following:

2013-06-08 20:16:58 CESTLOG:  database system was shut down at 2013-06-08 20:10:02 CEST

2013-06-08 20:16:58 CESTFATAL:  the database system is starting up

2013-06-08 20:16:58 CESTLOG:  database system is ready to accept connections

2013-06-08 20:16:58 CESTLOG:  autovacuum launcher started

These logs means your database is already start and can accept connections. What's the 'listen_addresses' setting in your  postgresql.conf?

I am unable to make out what is going wrong. Then I try to restart the Postgres service but it does not get started and gives error continuously. The error is:

Windows could not start the PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Please I need urgent help please…

Thanks and Regards

Gaurav