Re: Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laetitia Avrot
Subject Re: Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Chapman,

Le ven. 25 mars 2022 à 00:42, Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net> a écrit :
On 03/27/21 08:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> We can bikeshed the name of the flag at some stage. --procedures-only
> might also make sense

Any takers for --routines-only ?

"Routine" is the genuine, ISO SQL umbrella term for a function or
procedure, and we have used it that way in our docs and glossary.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I was really excited to find a generic term for Functions and Procedures, but "routine" also includes aggregation functions which I had excluded from my feature (see Postgres Glossary here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/glossary.html#GLOSSARY-ROUTINE).

I had decided not to include aggregate functions when I designed my patch because I thought most users wouldn't expect them in the result file. Was I wrong?

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

Regards,
-Chap