Re: Russian translations - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Russian translations
Date
List pgsql-www

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> On 08/07/2016 12:27 PM, Pavel Luzanov wrote:
>> Please, consider this path to include reference to Russian translation
>> in the docs page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs
>>
>> Now it really patch for git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgweb.git repository.
>
> commited - should show up on the website soon.

You realise this sets a new precedent in that we're linking to a
commercial website for a translation of our docs? All the existing
ones are non-commercial community sites.

I'm not saying I object to that (I don't, as long as the translation
is good, and similar expectations are held of the site as are held to
those offering packages), but others may feel differently and not
realise what just happened.

I also notice that  the first link on the page goes to the postgres pro distribution rather than the community one. And the text on the linked page pitches a sales contact for postgres pro.

I see no major problem having it linked on the postgres pro site (though I would prefer it to be a non-profit site, but it's not that important), but I would ask for a landing-page that we link to that only has the community docs in it directly, and that does not have a sales pitch on it.

Also, if google translate is correct, it specifically says you can't use it for commercial use. Would it be possible to add a clarification of what that means? All our other documentation is freely available for use. Again, there is no problem with it not being that -- but defining what it refers to is probably a good idea (e.g. is it OK to use it by somebody who provides PostgreSQL training in Russian, and just not OK if they want to re-sell it, print it, or something like that, or is that kind of use also covered)? (This might be covered in the Russian text and missed in the translation so if so, just clarify the translation for the list, please).

Thanks!