Re: Rename max_parallel_degree? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Why is the parallelism variable called "max_parallel_degree"?  Is that a
>> descriptive name?  What does "degree" mean?  Why is it not called
>> "max_parallel_workers"?

> Because "degree of parallelism" is standard terminology, I guess.

FWIW, I agree with Bruce that using "degree" here is a poor choice.
It's an unnecessary dependence on technical terminology that many people
will not be familiar with.

FWIW, SQL Server calls it "degree of parallelism" as well (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188611(v=sql.105).aspx). And their configuration option is "max degree of parallelism": https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181007(v=sql.105).aspx.

So it's certainly not a made-up term. And I'd go as far as to say that most people coming from other databases would be familiar with it. It may not be a standard, but clearly it's very close to being that.