Re: [DOCS] Legal Notice page in 10 not "backwards compatible" inonline docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [DOCS] Legal Notice page in 10 not "backwards compatible" inonline docs
Date
Re: [DOCS] Legal Notice page in 10 not "backwards compatible" in online docs  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
List pgsql-docs
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> The Legal Notice page has in 10 changed from being uppercased to lowercased,
> and in the process the site no longer sees it as being present in previous
> version of the documentation:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/LEGALNOTICE.html
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/legalnotice.html
>
> The 9.6 page lists "This page in other versions:” from 7.4 to 9.6 while the 10
> version of the same page (albeit with minor stylistic changes) is only listed
> as being present in 10 and devel.  Not sure if the case change is what caused
> that to happen though, it was just what caught my attention (looking at the
> code I was not able to quickly find the cause).
>
> While not the most critical issue, consistency with earlier versions would be a
> good thing as the page does exist there.

I think this is worth fixing -- perhaps not because the "legal notice"
page itself is terribly important to carry forward, but rather because a
fix would presumably also fix the pg_xlogdump -> pg_waldump ones, which
have the same problem and from a user's point of view are more critical.

Those are really two different things.

The easiest way to fix the one that Daniel reported would be to just make it have the same name as before, wouldn't it? That would also automatically fix any other cases that would possibly link to LEGALNOTICE. (AFAIK this is the only file that was caps before)

Turns out that adding the capability to do aliases was a lot easier than I thought :) I've added an alias for legalnotice and also for pg_receivewal, pg_resetwal and pg_waldump so far.

Do we have some more docs pages where we need to do that?